Following another NC State graduation, it makes sense to look at student success within the GIST Online program. Over the years, we asked GIST Online Program alumni to participate in a survey to best facilitate our ongoing connection to graduates and to better understand how participation in either the Master of Geospatial Information Science and Technology (MGIST) or Graduate Certificate in Geospatial Information Science (GIS) program has served our graduates. After reviewing the data, we’ve made some interesting discoveries.
- Number of Alumni: The GIST Online program currently has 150 MGIST alumni and more than 300 Graduate Certificate in GIS alumni.
- Employment: 90 to 95 percent of our graduates who are seeking employment secure employment within 6 months of graduation.
- Promotion: Most alumni who were already working in the field while enrolled in one of our programs reported they were either promoted or received a salary increase after program completion, most frequently occuring for MGIST graduates.
- Salary: The average salary of alumni who completed our MGIST program is $65,000 and above. The average salary of alumni who completed our Graduate Certificate in GIS program is $45,000 – $50,000.
- Industry: Our MGIST and Certificate graduates work across the country in a variety of industries, including non-profit entities; private industry firms; local, state and national government agencies; research organizations; and consulting firms.
Our GIST Online Program alumni are working locally and nationally in a variety of positions. Here are just a few examples of the type of positions and companies where our graduates make a difference.
Locally- and Regionally-Based Alumni Positions
- GIS Technicians or Analysts at ProStar Geocorp in Raleigh, North Carolina; ProStar develops geospatial intelligence software, specifically Transparent Earth;
- GIS Technician for the City of Raleigh;
- GIS Analyst for the Town of Chapel Hill Office of Planning and Development Services;
- IT Specialist for the NOAA National Climate Data Center in Asheville, North Carolina;
- Director of GIS Development for Southern Software, Inc. in Southern Pines, North Carolina; this employee-owned firm delivers affordable Public Safety and Municipal Management software solutions; and
- Enterprise GIS Specialist for F&W Forestry Services in Albany, Georgia; this privately-owned firm offers landowners customized forest management solutions and operates in forests throughout the United States, South America and Europe.
Nationally-Based Alumni Positions
- GIS Specialist for USDA US Forest Service in Elkhart, Kansas;
- GIS/Planning Coordinator for Gateway Area Development District in Morehead, Kentucky;
- GIS Specialist for AECOM in Colorado, a “fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets.”
- Geospatial Planning Cell Commander for the US Army; this graduate’s responsibilities include leading a team of 27 GIS experts who manage geodatabases containing GIS data for specific continents.
This is only a sampling of the unique, important work GIST Online Program alumni perform after completing our programs. If this information has piqued your curiosity about GIST or one of our online programs, read more about Program Director Eric Money’s vision for the GIST Online Program in this recent blog.
Perhaps, there’s a place for you in this dynamic field and industry, and there’s no better place to find success than at NC State!
Check back each month as we explore a variety of topics about the GIST Online Program at NC State.